About the project
Grant “Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the justice system. Case study and suggested solutions“ from the NAWA urgency grants programme no. BPN / GIN / 2021/1/00006 / U / 00001 (number UN-2105-001)is implemented by a project team led by Katarzyna Gajda-Roszczynialska, habilitated doctor of law, and concerns the functioning of the justice system during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The grant is implemented by the Interdisciplinary Centre for Research on Judicature in cooperation with the Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Silesia in the years 2021–2022.
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected almost all aspects of our lives – from health, to social and labour, and economic and criminal matters. All the above-mentioned issues may become the nucleus of disputes, which will have to be resolved in court. The aim of the project is to analyse how the COVID-19 pandemic affects and will affect the judiciary – cases that were already pending at the time of the outbreak of the epidemic, as well as cases that are yet to begin as a result of the new post-pandemic reality (e.g. expected bankruptcies related to the economic crisis). In the course of scientific work undertaken as part of the project, both constitutional and procedural issues will be analysed, and the entire research will be comparative in nature, taking into account solutions adopted in other countries. Not only the impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on both civil and criminal trial models will be assessed, but also the impact on the implementation of the right to a fair trial and court management methods and strategies. The partners in the grant are the University of Vilnius (Lithuania) and the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Ukraine), and experts are specialist from the Complutense University in Madrid (Spain) and the University of Bergen (Norway).
The project is implemented under the leadership of:
- Katarzyna Gajda-Roszczynialska, habilitated doctor of law (University of Silesia)
The deputy project manager is:
- Jakub Płaziuk, master of law (University of Silesia)
The members of the project are:
- Bogdan Jędrys, District Court Judge
- Krystian Markiewicz, habilitated doctor of law, Associate Professor (University of Silesia)
- Dobrosława Szumiło-Kulczycka, habilitated doctor of law, Associate Professor (Jagiellonian University)
- Andrzej Torbus, habilitated doctor of law, Associate Professor (University of Silesia)
- Prof. Vigita Vėbraitė, (Vilnius University)
- Prof. Iryna Izarova (Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev)
The experts in the project are:
- Prof. Fernando Gascón Inchausti (Complutense University of Madrid)
- Prof. Anna Nylund (University of Bergen)