Go to main content

University of Silesia in Katowice

  • English
  • Polish
Logo European City of Science 2024




Welcome Point was established as a place where employees from abroad can come with questions concerning their work and stay in Poland. It is also the place for people who are intersted in working at the University of Silesia. It is important for us that you quickly feel a part of the University community and that you feel at home in Poland.

Here you will find, among others, information about:

  • current restrictions resulting from the coronavirus pandemic in Poland and at the University of Silesia,
  • required documents related to the stay in our country and work at our university,
  • trips, meetings and workshops organized by us to integrate employees from abroad,
  • interesting facts about our region.

If you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact us. Agata and Vira will help you to find the best solution.

yellow speech bubble


ul. Bankowa 14, room 415
40-007 Katowice

phone: +48 359 23 46
mobile: +48 516 374 959
e-mail: welcome2US@us.edu.pl
Monday to Friday
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.




Agata Sołdrowska – portrait photo

coordinator of the Come2US project
languages: Polish, English, German

Vira Ruzevych – portrait photo

languages: Polish, English, Ukrainian, Russian

about the University of Silesia

professional network

University of Silesia employs around 60 foreign employees and provides support if it is needed.

Please take a moment to watch this short video in which 8 people tell us about their work experience at the University of Silesia.

Learn more

Polish culture

It is important for us that the University of Silesia is a good (work)place for you and that you feel a part of it. Therefore, we sometimes organize meetings and trips to provide the opportunity for the employees to talk with each other as well as to learn and experience Polish and Silesian culture.

Important information


  • hand disinfection,
  • social distancing,
  • nose and mouth covering in the presence of other individuals, with the following exceptions:
    • teachers, students and doctoral students are exempt from the obligation to cover their mouth and nose,
    • classes and meetings in small groups (up to 5 individuals) can take place without covering mouths and noses, provided that all participants consent to it,
  • frequent ventilation of rooms,
  • frequent disinfection of surfaces and sanitary facilities,
  • observation of the current regulations of the Chief Sanitary Inspectorate (GIS).

More information can be found at – COVID-19 security status | Uniwersytet Śląski


E-mail address: covid@us.edu.pl

Chairman of the Crisis Management Team due to COVID-19 epidemic: tomasz.pietrzykowski@us.edu.pl

Occupational Health, Safety and Fire Protection Inspectorate: bozena.golanka@us.edu.pl


Dom Asystenta Nr 3 w Katowicach

ul. Paderewskiego 32
40-282 Katowice

+48 32 2009 111
e-mail: hotel2@us.edu.pl

The Teacher Residence Hall (Polish: Dom Asystenta) in Katowice, with its perfect location in the prestigious Paderewskiego district, is an ideal place to live for the employees who need  easy access to the key points of Katowice – its cultural monuments, shopping, entertainment and scientific centers, as well as to parklands.

Near the Teacher Residence Hall, there is a park and the recreational-sports complex „Dolina Trzech Stawów”. The park has a parking, numerous bicycle paths, beach volleyball courts, and a city bike station.


Ośrodek dydaktyczny w Chorzowie

ul. 75 Pułku Piechoty 1
41-500 Chorzów
tel/fax: +48 32 349 3912

e-mail: pokojegoscinne@us.edu.pl

The Guest Rooms of the University of Silesia are located on the premises of the Didactic Centre in Chorzow, at 75 Pułku Piechoty, 1.


Dom Asystenta nr 1

ul. Lwowska 4

41-205 Sosnowiec


Dom Asystenta nr 2

ul. Lwowska 6

41-205 Sosnowiec

tel:32 368-93-07

e-mail: liliana.balcarek@us.edu.pl

The Houses of Assistant No.1 and No.2 are located in POGOŃ district of Sosnowiec 4 km from the city centre. Both houses are not far from the exit roads to Cracow (DK94), Warsaw (S86) and Airport in Pyrzowice.

Who does it apply to?

An application for granting temporary residence permit can be submitted if there are circumstances justifying the stay on Polish territory for a period longer than three months, with the exception of a temporary residence permit granted due to circumstances that require a short-term stay.

An application for a temporary residence permit can be submitted to the Voivodeship Office.

Additional documents

  • documents confirming possessing a health insurance;
  • documents confirming having a stable and regular source of income (e.g. employment contract, income and salary statement);
  • documents confirming having a permanent dwelling place;
  • written contract with your employer confirming that you have been given a job for the time stipulated in the attachment no 1 to your application;
  • any documents confirming you have got all required qualifications and requirements to perform duties in so called regulated job – as described in Polish Act of 18 March 2008 on recognition of job qualifications acquired in other EU countries (Journal of Laws of 2008, No. 63, item 691).

Read more at: katowice.uw.gov.pl

Everyone who lives in Poland should remember that they are obliged to register for a permanent residence. It concerns both Polish citizens and foreigners.In order to register you should have a contract for renting an apartment or a room and your passport. The application for permanent residence can be filled in every City Hall or online.

When do you submit the documents?

No later than on the 30th day after arrival to Poland – if you are:

  • a citizen of the European Union (EU) member state or a family member of such a citizen,
  • a citizen of a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) – a party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a family member of such a citizen.

No later than on the 4th day after arrival to Poland – if you do not belong to this group.

How much will you pay?

The check-in service is free of charge. You will not pay anything for the first registration document. Each subsequent document issued after checking in, if e.g. you lose a document issued during checking in, costs PLN 17.

How long will you wait?

The officer will register you as soon as he/she receives your application. After you register, he/she will issue you with a permanent residence registration document. This document will be valid until you change your place of registration.

Where can I do resident register?

In every City Hall. You can do this directly at the City Hall or online.

More information about resident register: www.gov.pl.

A PESEL number is applied for by the City Hall in charge of registering foreigners residing on the territory of the Republic of Poland who have obtained a temporary or permanent residence permit.

The list of statuses entitling to obtaining a PESEL number:

  • the right of permanent residence acquired by a citizen of an EU Member State, a citizen of an EFTA Member State – a party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area and a citizen of the Swiss Confederation;
  • the right of permanent residence acquired by a family member of an EU Member State citizen, a citizen of an EFTA Member State – a Party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area and a citizen of the Swiss Confederation;
  • permanent residence permit;
  • a residence permit for a long-term EU resident;
  • refugee status;
  • subsidiary protection;
  • asylum;
  • permit for tolerated stay;
  • temporary protection;
  • a humanitarian residence permit for foreigners; family members residing on the territory of the Republic of Poland.

You can find information about how to obtain a PESEL and what document you need on the website under the link – www.gov.pl.


NAWA logotype

„Come2US – professionalization and centralization of support of the foreign employees of the University of Silesia in Katowice”
The project financed by the Polish National Agency of Academic Exchange (NAWA) as a part of Welcome to Poland Programme (2020).

return to top