During the inaugural meeting of the National Water Management Council (PRGW), which took place on 16th June, 2020 in Warsaw, dr hab. Damian Absalon, Professor of the University of Silesia was nominated as the chairman of the Council by the Deputy Minister at the Ministry of Maritime Economy and Inland Navigation, Ms. Anna Moskwa.
The National Water Management Council consists of 30 members and was established as a consultative and advisory body for the minister that is responsible for water management by the Minister of Maritime Economy and Inland Navigation for the years 2020 -2023 on the basis of the Water Law Act.
The task of the Council is to draw up and prepare the documents for the competent minister of water management that include opinions, proposals and conclusions on water management as well as protection against floods and the effects of drought, particularly:
- Presenting proposals and conclusions regarding an improvement of the condition of water resources and protection against floods and the effects of drought;
- Giving their opinion on planning concepts and projects;
- Expressing opinions on draft programs for implementing tasks connected with water maintenance and the other properties of the State Treasury that are related to water management and any planned investments in water economy;
- Expressing their opinion on projects of the normative acts that regulate the issues of the water management;
- Expressing their opinions on matters that are commissioned by the competent minister responsible for water management.