EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGIES FOR E-LEARNING AND STEM EDUCATION
Piet Kommers University of Twente (The Netherlands)
Abstract: At the outset of innovating Vocational Education and Training (VET), we ask ourselves: What directions of innovation look promising in terms of „perceived needs‟ and „meeting endemic values‟. From the pure scientific point of view, operationalizing “Quality of Learning” is one of the hardest nuts to crack; Once listing all relevant dimensions of learning processes and outcomes, there is no end. Similarly, to listing qualities in fashion, gastronomy, music, every new trend in socio-economic era, brings its own new desires and ideologies.
Keywords: Educational Technologies, E-Learning, Virtual Reality, Immersion, STEM Education.
- Argyris, C. (2005). Double-loop learning in organizations: a theory of action perspective. In Ken G. Smith, Michael A. Hitt (Eds.) Great minds in management: the process of theory development. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press. (pp. 261–279). ISBN 0199276811. OCLC 60418039. January, 2008.
- Bonanno, Ph. & Kommers, P. (2005). Gender Differences and Styles in the Use of Digital Games. Journal of Educational Psychology, 25(1), 13–41.
- Juho, H., Shernoff, D., Rowec, E., Collerd, B., Asbell-Clarkec, J. & Edwards, T. (2016). Challenging games help students learn:
An empirical study on engagement, flow and immersion in game-based learning. Computers in Human Behaviour. 54(C), January 2016. 170–179.
- Harviainen, T., Hessinen, M., Kommers, P., Sutinen, E. (1999). Woven stories: collaboratively authoring microworlds via the Internet. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-long Learning, 9 (3/4), 328-340, 1999.
- Issa, T., Kommers, P. A. M., Issa, T., Isaías, P., & Issa, T. B. (2017). Smart Technology Applications in Business Environments.
IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2492-2 (https://research. utwente.nl/en/publications/smart-technology-applications-in-business-environments)
- Jayalath, B., and Esichaikul, V. (2016). Gamification-embedded eLearning courses for the learner success of competency-based education: Case of Technical and Vocational Education and Training. Available online
at http://hdl.handle.net/11599/2540 (accessed on August 16, 2019)
- Kaufman, D. Sutow, E. & Dunn, K. (1997). Three Approaches to Cooperative Learning in Higher Education. The Canadian Journal of Higher Education; La revue Canadienne d’enseignement supérieur. XXVII(2-3), 1997. 37-66.
- Ke, F., & Grabowski, B. (2007). Game playing for maths learning: cooperative or not? British Journal of Educational Technology 38(2). 2007: 249–259. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2006.00593.x,
- Kommers, P. A. M. (2004). Educational technology: hop step jump through the learning communities. 1062-1063. Paper presented at 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, ICALT 2004, Joensuu, Finland. DOI: 10.1109 /ICALT.2004.1357753
- Kommers, P. A. M. & Simmerling, M. (2015) Editorial Special Issue on the Future of Lifelong Learning MOOCs, e-Learning Platforms and Web Communities. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning. 25(2). 135-137.
- Kommers, P.A.M., Luursema, J.M., Rodel, S., Geelkerken, B. & Kunst, E. (2004). Virtual reality for training medical skills. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, 14(1/2), 142-166.
- Kommers, P.A.M. (2004). Cognitive Support for Learning; Imagining the Unknown; 2004, 296 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 1 58603 421 9
- Kommers, P.A.M. (1988). TEXTVISION, Conceptual Representation Beyond the HYPERTEXT Metaphor. European Journal of Psychology of Education. 3(2) (June 1988). 201-216
- Luursema, J.M., Verwey, W.B, Kommers, P. & Annema, J.H. (2008). The role of stereopsis in virtual anatomical learning. Interacting with Computers, 20(4/5), 1 Sept. 2008. 455–460. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.intcom.2008.04.003
- Nuutinen, J., Sutinen, E., Botha, A. & Kommers, P. (2010). From mindtools to social mindtools: Collaborative writing with Woven Stories. British Journal of Educational Technology 41(5), 753-775 (2010).
- Slavin, R. E. (1977). Student learning team techniques: Narrowing the achievement gap between the races (Report No. 228). Centre for Social Organization of Schools. The Johns Hopkins University.
- Smyrnova-Trybulska, E., Morze, N., Pavlova, T., Kommers, P. A. M. & Sekret, I. V. (2017). Using effective and adequate IT tools for developing teachers’ skills. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning. 27(3). 219-245.
- Wang, L.C. & Chen, M.P. (2010). The effects of game strategy and preference‐matching on flow experience and programming performance in game‐based learning. Innovations in Education and Teaching International 47(1). 39-52. Published online: 08 Feb 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/14703290903525838
- Werbach, K. (2014). (Re) Defining Gamification: A Process Approach. In A. Spagnolli, L. Chittaro, L. Gamberini (Ed.s). Proceedings Persuasive Technology. 9th International Conference, PERSUASIVE 2014, Padua, Italy, May 21-23, 2014. (pp. 266–272). Springer International Publishing.
- Werbach, K., and Hunter, D. (2015). The Gamification Toolkit: Dynamics, Mechanics, and Components for the Win. Philadelphia: Wharton Digital Press