APPLICATION OF SUBJECT DOMAIN ONTOLOGIES IN E-LEARNING
Asya Stoyanova-Doycheva, Todorka Glushkova, Vanya Ivanova University of Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
Abstract: This paper presents an overview of two tools for e-learning developed in the Virtual Physical Space (ViPS). The first one refers to the generation of test questions. It is used in the course of education of students majoring in Software Engineering at the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics (FMI) at the University of Plovdiv. The generation of the test questions is based on an ontology for UML, the processing of which is made by intelligent assistants. The second tool is called a Tourist Guide. It is intended to generate lessons in the area of cultural and historical heritage of Bulgaria in conformity with ontologies, which are created according to the CCO (Cataloguing Cultural Objects) standard.
Keywords: e-learning, ontology, ViPS, test generation, tourist guide
- Al-Yahya, M., (2014) Ontology-Based Multiple Choice Question Generation. Sci. World J. 2014, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/274949
- Al-Yahya, M., Remya, G. and Auhood, A., (2015), Ontologies in E-Learning: Review of the Literature. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 9(2) 2015, 67-84, http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/ijseia.2015.9.2.07
- Bhattacharya, A., Tiwari, M. K. and Harding, J. A. (2012). A framework for ontology based decision support system for e-learning modules, business modelling and manufacturing systems. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 23(5), 2012 October, 1763–1781.
- Bloom, B.S., Engelhart, M.D., Furst, E.J., Hill, W.H., Krathwohl, D.R., (1956). Taxonomy of Educational Objectives: The Classification of Educational Goals: Handbook I, Cognitive Domain. London: Longman.
- Castellanos-Nieves D., J. T. Fernández-Breis, R. Valencia-García, R. Martínez-Béjar and M. IniestaMoreno, (2011), Semantic Web Technologies for supporting learning assessment. Information Sciences, 181(9) 2011 May, 1517–1537.
- Cataloguing Cultural Objects Standard: http://cco.vrafoundation.org/,
- Cubric, M., Tosic, M., (2011), Towards automatic generation of e-assessment using semantic web technologies. International Journal of E-Assessment. 1(1). 2011, ISSN: 2045-9432, https://uhra.herts.ac.uk/handle/2299/7785?show=full (accessed 20 June 2019)
- Glushkova T., Maria M., Stoyanova-Doycheva, A., Ivanova, V., Stoyanov, S. (2018), Implementation of a Personal Internet of Thing Tourist Guide, American Journal of Computation, Communication and Control, Publication Date: May 10, 2018, 5(2), 39-51, ISSN 2375-3943, http://www.aascit.org/journal/archive?journalId= 901&issueId=9010502
- JAVA Agent Development Framework https://jade.tilab.com/, (accessed 20 June 2019)
- Kizilkaya G., E. D. Torun and P. Askar, (2007), Restructuring E-learning with Ontologies. In Gervasi, Osvaldo (ed.) Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science and Applications, ICCSA 2007, (pp. 161–164), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 26-29, 2007, ISBN: 0769529453
- Litherland K., P. Carmichael, and A. Martínez-García, (2013) Ontology-based e-assessment for accounting: Outcomes of a pilot study and future prospects. Journal of Accounting Education, 31(2), 2013 June, 162– 176, ISSN: 0748-5751
- Papasalouros, A., Kanaris, K., Kotis, K., (2008). Automatic Generation of Multiple Choice Questions from Domain Ontologies. In M. Baptista Nunes, M. McPherson: (Eds) Proceedings of the IADIS e-Learning Conference; 22-25 July 2008; (pp. 427–434). Amsterdam, Netherlands, ISBN 978-972-8924-58-4
- Protégé: https://protege.stanford.edu/, (accessed 20 June 2019)
- Raju P., V. Ahmed, (2012). Enabling technologies for developing next-generation learning object repository for construction, Automation in Construction, 22, 2012 March, 247–257, Elsevier, ISSN: 0926-5805.
- Sameh A., (2009) Ontology-Based Feedback E-Learning System for Mobile Computing. In N. Mastorakis, V. Mladenov, and V. T. Kontargyri, (Eds) Proceedings of the European Computing Conference, (pp. 479–488). Springer US, 2009
- Sheth, A., Anantharam, P. and Henson, C., (2013). Physical-Cyber-Social Computing: An Early 21st Century Approach. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 28(1), Feb. 2013, 1541–1672
- Stancheva N., A. Stoyanova-Doycheva, S. Stoyanov, I. Popchev, (2017). A Model for Generation of Test Questions, Comptes rendus de l’Acad´emie bulgare des Sciences. 70(5), 2017, ISSN 2367–5535 (Online), 619-630
- Stoyanov S., A. Stoyanova-Doycheva, T. Glushkova, E. Doychev, (2018), Virtual Physical Space – An Architecture Supporting Internet of Things Applications, IEEE (ed.) Proceedings of the 20th International Symposium on Electrical Apparatus and Technologies (SIELA), 3-6 June 2018, DOI: 10.1109/SIELA.2018.8447156, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/ abstract/document/ 8447156
- Todorov J., Stoyanov S., Valkanov V., Daskalov B., Popchev I., (2016), Learning Intelligent System for Student Assistance – LISSA, Ronald R. Yager, et. Al. (ed.) Proceedings of (2016) IEEE 8th International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Sofia Bulgaria, IS 2016 – Proceedings, 7 November 2016, Article number 7737397, (pp. 753-757), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., ISBN: 978-150901353-1, DOI: 10.1109/IS.2016.7737397, Publisher: IEEE