Due to the growing of number of cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in Europe, the Ministry of Science and Higher Education has published recommendations for higher education and science institutions. The recommendations are available at: www.gov.pl/web/nauka.
Moreover, the Chief Sanitary Inspector has also published information for universities due to the potential risk of coronavirus infection: www.gov.pl/informacja-glownego-inspektora-sanitarnego
The decision of the Rector of the University of Silesia on cancelling until further notice departures to and arrivals from the countries listed in the current announcements of the Chief Sanitary Inspectorate has been upheld (gis.gov.pl/aktualnosci). The prohibition currently covers China, Hongkong, South Korea, Italy, Iran and Japan. In the case of departures to Germany, France and Spain, it is recommended to take special precautions and avoid highly populated areas.
According to the Ministry of Science and Higher Education and Chief Sanitary Inspectorate, it is recommended to reduce to minimum academic exchanges and business trips to other countries, if possible. Consequently, travelling individuals, especially students, should be fully free to decide
whether a previously planned trip should or should not be carried out.
It is absolutely crucial to take the following steps before taking the decision:
- Consider whether a particular trip is necessary and could be postponed or cancelled, in agreement with the immediate superior.
- Find out about the current situation in a particular country:
- Register your departure in the “Odyseusz” system of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: odyseusz.msz.gov.pl.
- Check whether the particular event abroad (conference, workshop, etc.) has been cancelled or postponed.
- Check whether the flight has been cancelled.
- It is recommended to buy tickets as late as possible, with the option to change the date or return the tickets.
- It is recommended to choose accommodation with free cancellation.
In the case of cancelling or postponing the departure date, the leaving person: is required to inform the International Relations Department and project coordinator (if applicable), as well as make every effort to recover the costs incurred.
The same applies with reference to arrivals from abroad.
Please follow the website us.edu.pl/informacje-i-komunikaty, where current information will be published.
Assoc. Prof. Tomasz Pietrzykowski, Professor of the University of Silesia
Vice-Rector for Domestic and International Cooperation
Chairman of the Coronavirus COVID-19 Crisis Management Team