On 17 June 2020, the Ministry of Science and Higher Education announced the list of outstanding young scientists with significant research achievements who will receive grants. This year, the grants will be awarded to 200 individuals. The following employees of the University of Silesia are among this group:
- Prof. Wojciech Waleczek, Professor of the University of Silesia from the Faculty of Arts and Educational Science – specialises in performing solo, chamber and symphonic piano music through recitals and concerts, as well as album, radio and TV recordings;
- Prof. Łukasz Pawlik, Professor of the University of Silesia from the Faculty of Natural Sciences – conducts research in the field of biogeomorphology, focusing mainly on biomorphodynamics of forested slopes and biological airing processes caused by tree root systems;
- Ashley Gumsley from the Faculty of Natural Sciences – his research focuses on geochronology (determination of time) and paleomagnetism (determination of location) of mafic rocks;
- Mikołaj Marcela from the Faculty of Humanities – mainly handles the problem of monstrosity in modern and contemporary literature and culture, issues related to popular literature and culture, and recently also uthopian education, i.e. studying the visions of schools and universities in science fiction literature and culture;
- Katarzyna Malarz from the Faculty of Science and Technology – associated with the Silesian Centre for Education and Interdisciplinary Research, where she conducts research whose subjects concentrate on anti-proliferation properties and operating mechanism of compounds that may be potentially used as medicines in innovative targeted therapies;
- Prof. Anna Mrozek-Wilczkiewicz, Professor of the University of Silesia from the Faculty of Science and Technology – the subjects of research which she conducts at the Silesian Centre for Education and Interdisciplinary Research are mainly focused on identifying the mechanisms of anti-cancer operation of potential cytostatic agents;
- Agnieszka Talik, doctoral student from the Faculty of Science and Technology – the field of her research covers systems limited in space, including anticipation and application of these materials in many industry branches related to nanotechnology.
The quality assessment of applications was carried out by the advisory panel composed of experts representing different fields of science and art.
Detailed information about the grants and complete list of grantholders are available on www.gov.pl.