On 22 December, during an extraordinary session of the Senate of the University of Silesia, election of members to the University Council will be held. The Council term lasts 4 years and begins on 1 January 2021.
The Council consists of three academic community members and three non-academic community members. The seventh member of the University Council is Małgorzata Poszwa, Chair of the Student Government at the University of Silesia.
As of 11 December, seven requests to stand as candidates for the University Council members in 2021-2024 have been submitted.
Non-academic candidates to the University Council include:
- Mrs Elżbieta Bieńkowska – former European Commissioner for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs,
- Olga Grygier-Siddons – former President of the Management Board PricewaterhouseCoopers Polish and former President of the Management Board PwC in Europe Środkowo-Eastern (CEE),
- Mr Piotr Uszok – Chair of the first University Council, former President of Katowice.
Candidates representing the academic community include:
- prof. Adam Dziadek – Dean of the Faculty of Humanities; member of the first University Council,
- assoc. Prof. Krystyna Doktorowicz, Professor of the University of Silesia – Dean of the Krzysztof Kieślowski Film School;
- prof. Marian Paluch – Director of the Silesian Centre for Education and Interdisciplinary Research in Katowice; member of the first University Council,
- prof. Zofia Piotrowska-Seget from the Faculty of Natural Sciences, former Dean of the Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection.
All applications comply with the formal requirements.
Building of the Rectorate of the University of Silesia. Photo by the University of Silesia