The University of Silesia provides shelter for students and PhD students fleeing Ukraine. Yesterday, a group of 15 medical students from Kenya studying at the University of Kiev came to Silesia. Another group of 10 people arrived this morning, including citizens of Somalia, Kenya and Canada. In the coming days, we expect another group of people who have left the territory of our eastern neighbors due to Russian aggression in Ukraine. The relevant embassies and consulates have already been informed about the situation of their citizens.
The University of Silesia provides our guests with shelter in student dormitories, where they receive the necessary help, including medical assistance. Reports of people fleeing Ukraine contain information about long marches to the border with our country. Our guests come to Poland without basic necessities to live on with very limited luggage. That is why the University of Silesia is collecting donations for those in need. First of all, we need personal hygiene products, as well as warm and comfortable clothes.
In case you’ve got any questions or doubts, you can contact our coordinator (phone number: 723 378 289).
List of needed items
- food products – canned meat and fish, pate, vegetables in cans and jars, canned fruits, vegetable paste, sandwich paste, jam, crispbread, pasta sauce, milk, flour, oil, pasta, rice, cereals, instant soups, prepackaged dishes, sweets and other food products with a long expiry date.
- clothing, shoes, underwear – new,
- hygiene products – care and hygiene products, including: hair shampoos, body gels, antiperspirants, toothpastes and brushes, body, face or hand creams, cotton pads, wipes, wet wipes, sanitary napkins, shavers, shaving, brushes or hair combs
- medical supplies – plasters, elastic bandages, antiseptics, painkillers, first aid kits
Please bring items packed in bags or carton boxes. Please write “Help for Ukraine” or “Ukraine” on the boxes.
Where and when can I donate the items?
- Building of the Rectorate of the University of Silesia in Katowice, ul. Bankowa 12 at the hall by the main entrance (collection point open 24/7)
- other places indicated in messages addressed to you
Thank you for every response and help!