On 25 June 2021, the Faculty of Natural Sciences organises Meetings With Geology.
The programme includes popular science lectures and reportages, during which you can learn about the creation of the Universe, species of dinosaurs that lived on the territory of Poland, the formation of coral reefs, the geological history of the Upper Silesia, post-coal piles fires and their consequences, as well as about the discovering of new minerals and the procedure of their registry approval. The speaker will invite the participants for journeys around places that are within a stone’s throw (Bytom and Tarnowskie Góry) and remote, regarding the distance (Peru, Israel) and the timeline (millions and even billions of years in the past). The meetings will cover the geologist’s tools such as electron microscope, pyrometer, and roentgen radiation.
Where to watch?
The meetings are of open character; every geology or earth sciences aficionado is welcome to participate. The event will be carried out remotely and broadcast live via the University’s YouTube Channel and the Faculty of Natural Sciences fan page.
The event will be translated simultaneously into sign language.
The event will be accompanied by the “Varied world of geology” photo competition.
Competition works can be submitted in two categories:
- primary schools: for pupils of 4-8 grade of primary school;
- open: for pupils of secondary schools and every person who is interested in the competition.
Terms and conditions and application forms are available at bip.us.edu.pl.
The deadline for submitting works is 25 June 2021. The results will be announced on 2 July 2021.
Meetings With Geology are under the honorary patronage of:
- the Rector of the University of Silesia, Prof. Ryszard Koziołek;
- the Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Prof. Leszek Marynowski;
- the Director of the Institute of Earth Sciences, Ewa Łupikasza, PhD, DSc, Associate Professor;
- President of the city of Sosnowiec, Arkadiusz Chęciński;
- President of the city of Jaworzno, Paweł Silbert;
- President of the city of Katowice, Marcin Krupa, PhD;
- Polish Geological Institute, National Research Institute;
- Jaworzno GEOsphere;
- the Mineralogical Society of Poland;
- the Polish Meteoritical Society;
- the Museum of Earth Science.
Meetings With Geology are under media patronage of:
- Gazeta Wyborcza daily;
- Gazeta Uniwersytecka UŚ (University of Silesia Magazine);
- UŚ TV (Internet Television of the University of Silesia in Katowice).
The coordinators of the Meetings With Geology are Rafał Warchuski, PhD; Marta Chmielewska, PhD; Agata Daszkowska-Golec, PhD, Associate Professor, the Deputy Dean for Research Promotion and Internationalisation of the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Contact us: email@example.com.