A popular science event “GeoPicnic at Żyleta” will take place on 27 May, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the University of Silesia (ul. Będzińska 60, Sosnowiec).
The programme includes:
- 7 popular science lectures, including lectures implemented as part of the project “Akcja popularyzacja” (“Action popularisation”) co-financed by the Ministry of Science and Education,
- 13 scientific workshops,
- 9 exhibition stands,
- photography exhibition,
- visit to the Museum of Earth Sciences and the Faculty,
- games and activities for children,
- quizzes for adults and teenagers,
- terrain game “W Pogoni za Ziemią” (“In Quest for Earth”)..
During the “GeoPicnic at Żyleta” you will be able to find out, among others, whether climate change has negative effects only, how quickly glaciers are disappearing, and why supervolcanoes are considered one of the greatest threats to humanity. You can also gain new skills, e.g. creating digital maps, analysing satellite and aerial photos, distinguishing minerals, synthesising pigments, as well as performing meteorological, hydrogeological and geophysical measurements. Participants of the event will have the opportunity to see modern research equipment used in Earth sciences, such as a scanning microscope or X-ray diffractometer, as well as see the ULKA balloon (ULAC – University Laboratories for Atmosphere Control) and the view from the roof of Żyleta – the building of the Faculty of Natural Sciences.