Photo by Tomasz Kiełkowski
Never before has December been so full of science in Katowice as in 2023. On 9 December, the inauguration of the 7th edition of the Silesian Science Festival KATOWICE will take place, which will also be the opening of the European City of Science 2024 celebrations.
The celebrations will start in the Spodek Arena. The following will work on the final shape of the music and science show opening the European City of Science 2024 celebrations:
- Miuosh – rapper and music producer. In 2021, together with the ‘Śląsk’ Song and Dance Ensemble, he released an album ‘Pieśni współczesne’ [Modern Songs] with pieces inspired by folk songs;
- Zbigniew Rokita – writer, journalist and reporter associated with the Jagiellonian University. In 2021, he won the Nike Literary Award for the book ‘Kajś. Opowieść o Górnym Śląsku’ [Somewhere. A story about Upper Silesia];
- Jan Matuszyński, PhD – director of feature and documentary films associated with the Krzysztof Kieślowski Film School at the University of Silesia in Katowice. Creator of, among others, the films ‘The Last Family’ (2016) about the Beksiński family and ‘Leave no traces’ (2021) about the murder of Grzegorz Przemyk committed by the militia.
In addition, the event will be attended by scientists, musicians, and artists from the universities of the Academic Consortium “Katowice – City of Science”.
The theme of the ECSK 2024 opening gala will be the impact of science on the transformation of our region.
Programme of the European City of Science 2024
As part of the 50 weeks of the ECSK, each week will focus on one scientific topic – carefully selected and developed, and dedicated to an important problem of Polish and world science. Participants will have the opportunity to meet outstanding experts in a given field, and the residents themselves will be given the opportunity to join the development of knowledge, e.g. as part of activities in the citizen science trend.
The programme of the European City of Science also includes strategic events, such as:
- 12-15 June 2024 – international EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF 2024) conference at the International Congress Centre in Katowice,
- June-September 2024 – European Science in the City Festival – an initiative of the European Commission with a number of popular science events regarding European research missions,
- June 2024 – EU Talent Fair – a European initiative of job fairs for scientists,
- September 2024– European EUCYS (European Union Contest for Young Scientists) finals,
- September 2024 – organisation of TalentOn – a European initiative for young scientists,
- October 2024 – Inter-university inauguration of the academic year 2023/2024
- 6–10 December 2024 – closing the celebrations of the European City of Science 2024 in the Spodek Arena and the International Congress Centre, during the Silesian Science Festival KATOWICE.
Silesian Science Festival KATOWICE
During the festival – under the slogan ‘Science will give us the future’ – the celebrations of the European City of Science Katowice will officially begin. It will be the teaser for 2024, when every week in the capital of the Silesian Voivodeship will be filled with science.
ŚFN KATOWICE is an annual celebration of Silesian science, organised since 2016. Last year’s 6th edition attracted 48,000 people to the ICC, and up to 7,000 followed the online broadcast. For several years now, the festival has been gathering thousands of people hungry for knowledge. For a couple of days, they have the opportunity to listen to researchers from Poland and abroad, as well as take part in workshops, lectures and science shows.
From 9 to 11 December 2023, we will gather again, this time during the 7th edition of ŚFN KATOWICE, to absorb science again in an attractive and fun way.