Ladies and Gentlemen,
although we have been operating remotely due to the epidemic already for over a year, I did not think that once the vaccinations began, not only would the situation not improve, but we would be forced to introduce even stricter procedures to protect us against SARS-CoV-2 virus infection.
It is with concern that we have seen over the last few days the intensive increase of infections, both in our region and within our academic community. Every day we are informed about several new confirmed infections, mainly among the administration employees.
Due to the growing infection risk, particularly in the group of employees who have not been vaccinated yet, I am introducing the third security level at the University of Silesia effective from 22 March 2021 (marked with red colour), as referred to in Regulation of the Rector University of Silesia no. 179 of 16 October 2020. I am also recommending transition to remote work (home office), upon the approval of your immediate supervisor, starting from 19 March 2021.
The third security level means introduction of significant organisational changes in the University’s operation. All employees, students and doctoral students are asked to read the details available on the following website: https://us.edu.pl/en/uczelnia/status-zabezpieczen-covid-19/poziom-3/.
The most important rules are as follows:
- all classes are organised remotely;
- the number of people staying in the building is reduced to minimum;
- the University is closed for third parties, employees (except for the employees who are necessary to maintain the continuity of University operation) and students, with the exceptions defined by the Rector (e.g. upon previous arrangement of the meeting);
- organisation of meetings only remotely, with the exceptions defined by the Rector (including e.g. the specified dates of Disciplinary Committee sessions);
- introduction of remote work for all employees, with the exception of the employees who are necessary to maintain the continuity of University operation, as defined by the Rector and Chancellor;
- implementation of events only remotely;
- implementation of mobility only remotely (with the exception of the mobility cases that were approved earlier);
- restriction in the operation of student residence halls, including ban on accommodation (ATTENTION: without applying the ban on leaving student residence halls);
- restriction in the use of research, educational and artistic infrastructure (only in necessary cases), only with the consent of the Rector or the Dean authorised by the Rector.
Despite the breakthrough, which was the development of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine and the beginning of vaccination process, isolation and social distance still remain the most effective method to stop the epidemic growth. Also at the universities. Please be careful and understand that the applied safety measures against the virus will slow down the process of resolving matters handled by the University administration. Let the care for the health of our colleagues be our priority and proof of solidarity in this difficult time. I trust that the decision will soon be made to include them in the vaccination programme together with other employees of the University.
I hope that the third security level will not stay with us for a long time, and the increasingly fast vaccination process will let us gradually recover the University of Silesia as our workplace and the place for being together.
Rector of the University of Silesia