Completion of education at the Doctoral School
The education of a doctoral student at the Doctoral School ends with submitting a doctoral dissertation. The dissertation should be submitted to the organ conducting the procedure for conferring the doctoral degree. The organs conducting the proceedings at the University of Silesia in Katowice are the scientific councils of the institutes and for field doctorates – an interdisciplinary commission. The doctoral dissertation should not be submitted to the office of the Doctoral School.
Submitting a doctoral dissertation is part of the procedure for conferring a doctoral degree. The doctoral student submits the dissertation after its approval in the APD system, in the form of a printout of the document generated from the APD.
Stage I - notification of the willingness to initiate the procedure at the Evaluation and Service Office of the relevant institute
In BEOI, the doctoral student also receives access to the APD system, into which he/she is to upload a doctoral dissertation. In APD, the dissertation will be subject to anti-plagiarism control.
Stage II - implementation of the education program and obligations arising from the DS Regulations
In addition to accounting for the implementation of the educational program and other obligations, the doctoral student should also make sure that he or she does not have any equipment or books that should be return, and that he or she has submitted a declaration of assignment to the discipline and provided a list of its scientific achievements (https://us.edu.pl/szkola-doktorska/osiagniecia-naukowe-doktorantow-a-ewaluacja-dyscyplin/).
After verification, the DS office issues the doctoral student (personal presence required):
- certificate of learning outcomes at level 8 of the Polish Qualifications Framework
- a certified copy of the supervisor’s designation
– these documents will be necessary to submit a doctoral dissertation.
A doctoral student who plans to complete education and submit a doctoral dissertation informs the DS office about it at least 2 weeks before the date he wants to obtain a certificate of 8 PRK.
Stage III - submission of the doctoral dissertation
To initiate the procedure for granting a doctoral degree, a doctoral student of the Doctoral School contacts the relevant Institute and submits relevant documents (the list should be confirmed in BEOI):
- a copy of the document confirming obtaining the appropriate professional title (PSWiN art. 186 section 1 item 1);
- information on obtaining learning outcomes for qualifications at PRK level 8 (PSWiN art. 186 section 1 item 2) – certificate issued by the Doctoral School on getting learning outcomes for qualifications at PRK level 8;
- information on the knowledge of a modern foreign language (confirmed by a certificate, a diploma of graduation or a document issued by the doctoral institution after the examination), confirming the knowledge of this language at the language proficiency level of at least B2 (PSWiN art. 186 section 1 item 2);
- a list of his/her scientific works together with information on having the relevant scientific achievements, entitling to initiate proceedings for the award of a doctoral degree (PSWiN art. 186 section 1 item 3);
- information on the designation of a supervisor – a decision on the designation of a supervisor certified by the Doctoral School, resolution of the scientific council (from 2023);
- doctoral dissertation with a positive opinion of the supervisor or supervisors (PSWiN art. 189);
- a report signed by the supervisor on checking the doctoral thesis using the Uniform Anti-Plagiarism System if the dissertation is a written work;
- a summary of the doctoral thesis in English, and in the case of a doctoral dissertation prepared in a foreign language, also an abstract in Polish. If the doctoral dissertation is not a written thesis, its description in Polish and English shall be attached.
In the absence of a certificate or diploma of graduation referred to in point 3, an examination confirming the knowledge of a modern foreign language at the level of language proficiency B2 shall be carried out. It is worth remembering that the examination board is appointed by the organ conducting the procedure at the next meeting of the organ. This means that this path will be extended in time compared to the others. The proceedings in this case are described in Circular Letter No. 5 of the Rector of the University of Silesia of March 29, 2023.
Stage IV - further proceedings
BEOI verifies the documents and issues a certificate confirming that the doctoral student has submitted a dissertation. This certificate is forwarded directly to DS by BEOI.
After receiving the certificate, DS completes the doctoral student’s education on a date consistent with the dissertation’s submission date. Then, DS sends information to BEOI about the end of education, which is the basis for financing the procedure by the university. Further proceedings are conducted at BEOI.
PhD Scholarship Information
The doctoral scholarship is paid for the month the doctoral student completes their education at the total rate. If the doctoral student completed his education earlier than provided for in the curriculum (i.e., earlier than after 48 months of education), by Art. 209 sec. 8 of the PSWiN Act, a doctoral student “receives a doctoral scholarship until the date of completion of education, but not longer than 6 months.”
Documents and legal basis
checklist – verification of the PhD student’s obligations Completion-of-education-checklist
Circular Letter No. 5 of the Rector of the University of Silesia in Katowice of March 29, 2023, on defining the procedure for confirming the knowledge of a modern foreign language at the B2 language proficiency level for persons applying for a doctoral degree – link to the letter (only in Polish)
załącznik do zarządzenia nr 150 z 2022 rektora UŚ – list of certificates recognized at the University of Silesia in Katowice
Ordinance No. 197 of the Rector of the University of Silesia in Katowice of November 16, 2021, on the introduction of the procedure for submitting doctoral dissertations and verifying the independence of their preparation – link to the ordinance (only in Polish)
Resolution No. 293/2022 of the Senate of the University of Silesia on the procedure for conferring a doctoral degree – link to the resolution (only in Polish)
Regulations of the Doctoral School – Resolution No. 257/2022 of April 26, 2022, of the Senate of the University of Silesia – link to the resolution (in polish)
The Law on Higher Education and Science – link to the law (only in Polish)