Open call procedure for academic positions
Applications for the positions in an open call may be submitted by those who meet the conditions defined in Art. 113 of the Act of the 20th of July 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 85, as amended). We would like to inform that the reply to job offers shall be submitted within the deadline and in the form defined in the job offer (open call announcement). Applications received after the deadline, incomplete applications, and applications submitted in any other way than defined in the open call announcement shall not be considered.
- Announcement of the open call
- Collection of applications
- Formal verification of candidates
- Merit-based evaluation of candidates (in some cases including interviews)
- Resolution of the open call (open call may remain unresolved)
- Information about the results of the open call
- Submitting the application according to the open call requirements
- Participation in the interview (if applicable)
- Receiving the information on results of the open call
All deadlines and conditions of the open call are included in the open call announcement.
Communication with candidates shall be maintained using the electronic means of communication (application form, e-mail, MS Teams platform, other) at every stage of the open call procedure.
In order to conduct and resolve an open call, the selection committee is appointed by the vice-rector. The committee consists of:
- employees of the University of Silesia – specialists in the related disciplines, HR Department representative, other University employees appointed by the rector,
- external experts – in justified cases.
The merit-based evaluation of the candidates is conducted using standardized methods and tools adjusted to the type of the given job position. In selecting the best candidate, the committee acts according to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers, and the OTM-R policy (Polish).
Results of the open call are sent to the candidates in the form of the committee’s resolution. The open call can remain unresolved. The open call results are published in accordance with the Act of the 20th of July 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science.
Dean or the head of the organizational unit which applies for conducting the open call, as well as candidates who took part in the open call, may submit an objection to the selection committee’s decision in writing within seven days after receiving the resolution. The objection must be submitted together with justification.
The objection will be examined by the rector or by an authorized vice-rector within a minimum of 14 and a maximum of 30 days. The rector may ask for the opinion of the chairman of the selection committee and the opinion of the chairman of the Academic Staff Committee. In the case of upholding the objection, the rector renders the open call invalid and decides about conducting such open call again.
The necessary condition for employment of the candidate selected in the open call procedure is their fulfillment of the obligations arising from Art. 265 section 4,5, and 13 of the Act of the 20th of July 2018: Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 85, as amended).
In the case of foreign candidates, whose diplomas granting professional titles, academic degrees or academic titles require nostrification according to the Polish law, they can only be employed after fulfilling the nostrification procedures.
In 2017 the University of Silesia in Katowice received the HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission. The university has thus found itself among the elite group of institutions that provide researchers with the best working and development conditions: a transparent recruitment process, stable employment, and professional development opportunities at all stages of their careers.
More information: here
- Rector’s decree no. 190 of the 28th of October 2020 on the organization, mode, and detailed terms of conducting open call procedure in employing academics (Polish)
zarządzenie nr 190 Rektora Uniwersytetu Śląskiego w Katowicach z dnia 28 października 2020 r. w sprawie szczegółowej organizacji, trybu i warunków przeprowadzania postępowania konkursowego przy zatrudnianiu nauczycieli akademickich wraz z załącznikami
- The act of 20th of July 2018 – The Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 85, as amended) (Polish)