EVALUATION OF MATHEMATICS E-BOOKS FROM THE STEM STANDPOINT
Soner Durmuş Sultan Eldekci Bolu Abant Izzet Baysal University (Turkey)
Abstract: Current research findings imply that e-learning, curricula, educational objectives and e-books should be aligned with the STEM approach to ensure correct implementation of STEM strategies. The use of ICT is recommended to make e-learning compatible with the STEM perspective in education. In this study, it is aimed to evaluate the integration of ICT and STEM perspectives through assessing middle school mathematics e-books. Middle school mathematics e-books approved by the Ministry of Education in Turkey are examined from the STEM standpoint. The findings of the study are discussed, and some recommendations are given.
Keywords: STEM Education, E-learning, ICT, Mathematics Education
- Altunel, M. (2018). STEM Eğitimi ve Türkiye: fırsatlar ve riskler [Stem Education and Turkey: Risks and Opportunities]. Retrieved from https://setav.org/assets/uploads/2018/07/STEM_Eğitimi-1.pdf (accessed 2 September 2019).
- Aybat, B.(2015). STEM uygulamada altı karakteristik özellik [Six Characteristics of STEM Applications]. Retrieved from http://www.egitimdeteknoloji.com/stem-nedir-nasil-yapilir-uygulama-ozellikleri/ (accessed on 10 September, 2019).
- Creswell, J.W., Hanson, W. E. & Plano Clark,V.L.(2007). Qualitative Research Designs: Selection and implementation. The Counselling Psychologist, 35(2), 236-264.
- Creswell, J.W. (2017). Nitel araştırmacılar için 30 temel beceri [30 Essential Skills for the Qualitative Researcher]. SAGE Publications, Inc; First edition (September 4, 2015).
- Çakıroğlu, E. & Dedebaş, E. (2018). Matematiksel bakış açısıyla STEM eğitimi uygulamaları [STEM Applications through views of mathematicals point of views]. In D. Akgündüz (ed.) STEM Education from Preschools to University: Theory and Practice. Ankara: ANI Publication.
- Fitzallen, N. (2015). STEM education: what does mathematics have to offer? In M. Marshman, V. Geiger, and A. Bennison (Eds.) Mathematics education in the margins (pp. 237–244). Proceedings of the 38th annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia.
- Gencer, A. S., Doğan, H., Bilen, K. & Can, B. (2019). Bütünleşik STEM eğitimi modelleri [Blended STEM Education Models]. Journal of Pamukkale University Faculty of Education, 45, 38-55.
- Kasza, P. & Slater, T. F. (2017). A survey of best practices and key learning objectives for successful secondary school STEM academy settings. Contemporary Issues in Education Research (Online), 10(1), 53-66.doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.19030/cier.v10i1.9880
- Larson, M. (2017). Math education is STEM education! Retrieved from https://www.nctm.org/News-and-Calendar/Messages-from-the-President/Archive/Matt-Larson/Math-Education-Is-STEM-Education!/ (accessed 10 May 2019).
- MEB. (2016). STEM eğitim raporu [STEM Education Report]. Ankara: MEB Publications.
- Morrison, J. (2006). TIES STEM Education Monograph Series, Attributes of STEM Education. Retrieved from http://www.wytheexcellence.org/media/STEM_Articles.pdf (accessed on 13 March 2019).
- Noskova, T., Pavlova, T. & Yakovleva, O. (2018). Study of students’ educational activity strategies in the social media environment.
In E. Smyrnova-Trybulska (ed.). E-learning and Smart Learning Environment for the Preparation of New Generation Specialists. Vol. 10 of the E-learning series. Katowice – Cieszyn: Studio NOA for University of Silesia in Katowice
- OECD.(2017). Education at a Glance 2017. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1787/eag-2017-en (accessed on 29 May 2019).
- Özçakır Sümen, Ö. & Çalışıcı, H. (2016). Pre-service teachers’ mind maps and opinions on STEM education implemented in an environmental literacy course. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 16, 459-476.
- P21(2018). Partnership for 21st century learning a network of battelle for kids. Retrieved from http://www.battelleforkids.org/networks/p21/frameworks-resources (accessed on 20 January 2019).
- P21 (2019). Framework for 21st century learning definitions. Partnership for 21st century learning a network of battelle for kids. Retrieved from http://www.battelleforkids.org/networks/p21/frameworks-resources (accessed on 20 January 2019).
- PWC 20th CEO SURVEY. (2017). 20 years inside the mind of the CEO…What’s next? Global oil & gas findings. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/ceo-survey/2017/industries/20th-ceo-survey-oil-gas-findings.pdf (accessed on 12 March 2019).
- Schmidt, W. H., & Houang, R. T. (2007). Lack of focus in the mathematics curriculum: A symptom or a cause? In T. Loveless (Ed.), Lessons learned: What international assessments tell us about math achievement (pp. 65-84). Washington: Brookings Institution Press.
- Smith, J., & Karr-Kidwell, P. J. (2000). The interdisciplinary curriculum: A literary review and a manual for administrators and teachers. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED443172.pdf (accessed on 2 September 2019).
- Shaughnessy, M. (2013). Mathematics in a STEM context. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 18(6), 324.
- Turner, K. B. (2013). Northeast Tennessee educators’ perception of STEM education implementation (Order No. 3574394). Available from ProQuest Central; ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (1442476306). Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/1442476306?accountid=15310 (accessed on 20 March 2019).
- TÜSİAD. (2017). 2023’e doğru Türkiye’de STEM gereksinimi [Need for STEM Education for 2023 Vision of Turkey]. Retrieved from https://www.tusiadstem.org/images/raporlar/2017/STEM-Raporu-V7.pdf (accessed 25 January 2019).
- Ural, A. (2018). Matematiksel Modelleme Eğitimi [Mathematical Modelling Education]. Ankara: Anı Publication.
- Yıldırım, B. & Altun, Y. (2015). STEM Eğitim ve Mühendislik Uygulamalarının Fen Bilgisi Laboratuar Dersindeki Etkilerinin İncelenmesi [Investigation of Science Lab Course from Stand Point of STEM Education and Engineering Applications]. El-Cezerî Fen ve Mühendislik Dergisi, 2 (2), 28-40.
- Yıldırım, B. (2018). Türkiye’nin 2023, 2053 ve 2071 hedefleri için STEM eğitim raporu [STEM Report for Turkey’s 2023, 2053 ve 2071 Visions]. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328956640_Turkiye’nin_2023_2053_ve_2071_Hedefleri_Icin_STEM_Egitim_Raporu (accessed on 5 July 2019).
- Yıldız, B., & Usluel, Y. K. (2016). A Model Proposal on ICT Integration for Effective Mathematics Instruction. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 31(1), 14-33. Doi:10.16986/HUJE.201513971
- Yılmaz, B. A. (2013). Eğitimde FATİH Projesi ve Eğitim Bilişim Ağı (EBA) [FATIH Project and EBA]. XV. Academic Informatic Proceedings, 23-25 January 2018, pp. 1013-1014.