LEARNING STARTUPS AS A PROJECT BASED APPROACH IN STEM EDUCATION
Oksana Strutynska, Mariia Umryk National Pedagogical Dragomanov University in Kyiv (Ukraine)
Abstract: The paper is devoted to the issues of the project-based approach in STEM/STEAM education. STEM education (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) is an educational trend under conditions of which the curriculum includes enhanced natural science component with the use of innovative technologies. STEAM is a way to take the benefits of STEM by integrating it in and through the arts. The authors analyse the development of STEM/STEAMeducation in Ukraine, compare competence level of educators and their level of using principles of STEM/STEAM education. The paper considers interdisciplinary aspects of STEM/STEAM education, in particular, implementation of robotics and 3D technology into the learning process as an important component of STEM education. The paper addresses the issue of gender equality, namely, wide involvement of girls and women in the IT field, STEM education in particular. The solution for attracting more women and girls to the STEM can be realized via incorporating Art and Design to the equation – to transform STEM into STEAM. The authors construct the model of engaging the Art component in creating the science-based methodological training system. The research also considers Learning StartUps as a project-based approach in STEAM education. The authors present examples of implementation of the project-based method in teaching 3D technology via Learning StartUps. Besides, the research shows how to involve Art and Design components in STEM education.
Keywords: STEM/STEAM Education, Project-Based Learning, Learning StartUp, Robotics, 3D technology
- Barna, O. & Balyk, N. (2017). Implementation of STEM-education in educational institutions: stages and models. Proceedings from the 1st Regional Scientific and Practical Web Conference “STEM-education and ways of its implementation in learning and upbringing process [STEM-osvita ta shljakhy jiji vprovadzhennja v navchaljno-vykhovnyj process], (pp. 3-8). Ternopil: Ternopil Regional Communal Institute of Postgraduate Teacher Education. Retrieved from: http://elar.ippo.edu.te.ua:8080/handle/123456789/4559 (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Barna, O., Balyk, N. & Shmygher, G. (2017). Implementation of STEM education at pedagogical university. Proceedings from the 1st All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Internet Conferences with International Participation “Modern information technologies and innovative teaching methods: experience, tendencies, perspectives [Suchasni informacijni tekhnologhiji ta innovacijni metodyky navchannja: dosvid, tendenciji, perspektyvy]”. Ternopilj (9-10 November), (pp. 11-14). Retrieved from: http://conf.fizmat.tnpu.edu.ua/ media/magazin/2017/09.11.2017.pdf, (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Ghavrysh, O.A. (2016). Development of a StartUp project: Guidelines for the implementation of the Master’s Theses section for engineering students [Rozroblennja startap-proektu: Metodychni rekomendaciji do vykonannja rozdilu maghistersjkykh dysertacij dlja studentiv inzhenernykh specialjnostej], 28. Retrieved from: http://kaf-pe.kpi.ua/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ roz_startap_proektiv_met_vk.pdf (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Hasni, А., Bousadra, F., Belletête, V., Benabdallah, A., Nicole, M.-C. & Dumais, N. (2016). Trends in research on project-based science and technology teaching and learning at K-12 levels: a systematic review, Studies in Science Education, 52:2, 199-231, DOI: 10.1080/03057267.2016.1226573, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03057267.2016.1226573?needAccess=true
- Hassan, I.H. (2001). From Postmodernism to Postmodernity: The Local/Global Context. Philosophy and Literature, 25(1), 1-13. Project MUSE, doi:10.1353/phl.2001.0011 (accessed on 20 July 2019)
- Institute of Education Content Modernization [STEM-osvita – Instytut modernizaciji zmistu osvity]. Retrieved from: https://imzo.gov.ua/stem-osvita (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Meeth, L.R. (1978). Interdisciplinary Studies: Integration of Knowledge and Experience. Change, 10, 6-9.
- Memorandum on establishment of STEM-education Coalition [Memorandum pro stvorennia Koalitsii STEM-osvity]. Retrieved from http://csr-ua.info/csr-ukraine/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/STEM_ memorandum_FINAL_%D0%9011.pdf, (accessed on 20 July 2019) [in Ukrainian]
- Morze, N., Ghladun, M. & Dziuba, S. (2018). Formation of key and subject competences of students by robotic means of STEM-education. Information Technologies and Learning Tools [Informacijni tekhnologhiji i zasoby navchannja]. 65(3), 37-52. Retrieved from: https://journal.iitta.gov.ua/index.php/itlt/article/view/2041/1348 (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Morze, N., Strutynska, O., & Umryk, M. (2018). Educational Robotics as a prospective trend in STEM-education development. Open educational e-environment of modern University, 5, 178-187. Retrieved from: http://openedu.kubg.edu.ua/journal/index.php/openedu/article/view/175/233#.XCVa1fmLTcs (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Movchan, S.M. (2016). Integrated approach in project teaching algebra secondary school pupils. Physics and Mathematics Education [Fizyko-matematychna osvita], 1(7), 97-104. ISSN 2413-1571 (Print). [in Ukrainian]
- Oksenyuk, K.I. (2018). StartUp as a Progressive Form for Innovative Enterprise Development. Young Scientist [Molodyj vchenyj], 6(58), 215-218. Retrieved from: http://molodyvcheny.in.ua/files/journal/2018/6/49.pdf (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Paschen, J. (2017). Choose wisely: Crowdfunding through the stages of the startup life cycle. Business Horizons, 60(2) (March-April), 179-188. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.11.003 (accessed on 20 July 2019).
- Position of Ukraine in the Global Competitiveness Index 2017-2018. Retrieved from: http://edclub.com.ua/analityka/pozyciya-ukrayiny-v-reytyngu-krayin-svitu-za-indeksom-globalnoyi-konkurentospromozhnosti-2, (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Salamzadeh, A. & Kawamorita, K., (2015). Startup Companies: Life Cycle and Challenges. In M. Radovic Markovic, S. Ilieva (ed.) Proceedings from the 4th International Conference on Employment, Education and Entrepreneurship (EEE). Belgrade, Serbia. Faculty of Business Economics and Entrepreneurship. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2628861 (accessed on 20 July 2019).
- The Five Stages Of Your Business Lifecycle: Which Phase Are You In? Retrieved from: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/271290 (accessed on 20 July 2019).
- Tuzikova, I.V. (2013). Study of Robotics – Path to Engineering Specialties. School and Manufacturing [Shkola i proizvodstvo], 5, 45-47. [in Russian]
- Vitlina, M.O. (2017). Organizational forms of StartUps creation. Proceedings from the All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Conferences “Innovative system and information technologies in modern science [Innovacijna systema ta informacijni tekhnologhiji v suchasnij nauci]”. Kharkiv (20 October). (39-44) Retrieved from: http://ndipzir.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ Vitlina.pdf (accessed on 20 July 2019). [in Ukrainian]
- Volodchenko, A.Y., Stryzhak O.Y., & Chrapach, H.S. (2016). Transdisciplinary nature of the development of giftedness of school youth. Teaching and upbringing of a gifted child: theory and practice [Navchannja i vykhovannja obdarovanoji dytyny: teorija ta praktyka], 16, 100-110. [in Ukrainian]