IMPACT OF CHANGES IN TEACHING COMPUTER SCIENCE IN UKRAINIAN SCHOOLS ON FORMING THE CONTENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE COURSES AT NON-CORE SPECIALTIES IN UNIVERSITIES
Yurii Horoshko, Hanna Tsybko, Evhenii Vinnychenko, Andrii Kostiuchenko, Nataliia Priadko Taras Shevchenko National University „Chernihiv Collegium” (Ukraine)
Abstract: The article deals with the problem of forming the content of computer science courses at non-core specialties in higher education institutions due to the changes in teaching computer science in Ukrainian schools. Some existing approaches to modernization of computer sciense higher education are considered. The attitudes of students who study at different curricula, to computer science education are analyzed. Possible ways of modernization of computer science courses at non-core university specialties are offered on the basis of psychological characteristics of secondary and higher school students and current social needs.
Keywords: computer science, educational content, non-core specialties
- Hilty, L.M. & Huber, P. (2018) Motivating students on ICT-related study programs to engage with the subject of sustainable development. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 19(3), 642-656. doi:10.1108/IJSHE-02-2017-0027 ISSN: 1467-6370.
- Horoshko, Y., & Tsybko, H. (2017). Experience and the prospects of using free software at the teachers’ training university. In E.Smyrnova-Trybulska (ed.), Effective Development of Teacher’s Skills in the Area of ICT and E-learning. “E-learning”. 9. (pp. 295–309). Katowice – Cieszyn: Studio Noa for University of Silesia in Katowice. ISSN 2451-3644 (print edition).
- Kołodziejczak, B., & Mokwa-Tarnowska, I., & Roszak, M. (2018). Directions on the evolution of higher education. In E.Smyrnova-Trybulska (ed.). E-learning and Smart Learning Environment for the Preparation of New Generation Specialists. “E-learning”. 10. (pp. 135–152). Katowice – Cieszyn: Studio Noa for University of Silesia in Katowice. ISSN 2451-3644 (print edition).
- Korol, O., & Alekseev, O. (2014). Problems of construction of a non-core informatics course for students of different specialties of the Institute of Educational Sciences. Collection of scientific works of Uman State Pedagogical University. Part 1, 175-181.
- Makasiranondh, W. & Maj, S. & Veal, D. (2011). Student Opinions on their Development of Non-technical Skills in IT Education. Modern Applied Science. 5(2). DOI:10.5539/mas.v5n2p3. E-ISSN 1913-1852
- Mladenovic, S. & Žanko, Ž. & Mladenovic, M. (2014). Elementary Students’ Motivation Towards Informatics Course. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 174. 10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1113.
- Nager, A. & Atkinson, R. D. (2016). The Case for Improving U.S. Computer Science Education (May 31, 2016). Information technology & innovation foundation. Retrieved from http://www2.itif.org/2016-computer-science-education.pdf (accessed 28 June 2019).
- Olifirov O. V., & Makoveichuk K. O. (2013). Conceptual basics of informatics for the economic and engineering specialties of a non-computer profile. Business Inform, 8, 150-155. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/binf_2013_8_27 (accessed 2 August 2019). [In Ukranian]
- Program of Informatics courses 5-9 classes of general educational institutions. (2017). Retrieved from https://mon.gov.ua/ua/osvita/zagalna-serednya-osvita/navchalni-programi/navchalni-programi-5-9-klas (accessed 12 June 2019).
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated November 23, 2011 No. 1392 „On Approval of the State Standard for Basic and Complete Secondary Education”.(2011). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1392-2011-%D0%BF (accessed 28 June 2019).
- Romaniuk, L. (2017). On the problem of using machine translation systems by students of non-linguistic specialties. In N. Petliuchenko (ed.). Odessa Linguistic Bulletin. 10(2). (pp. 143-146). Odessa: Phoenics. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/olinv_2017_10%282%29__34 (accessed 01 August 2019). [In Ukranian]
- Smyrnova-Trybulska, E. (2018). Smart university in smart society – some trends. In E. Smyrnova-Trybulska (ed.). E-learning and Smart Learning Environment for the Preparation of New Generation Specialists. “E-learning”. 10. (pp. 65–80). Katowice – Cieszyn: Studio Noa for University of Silesia in Katowice. ISSN 2451-3644 (print edition).