APPLYING THE CEFR DESCRIPTORS FOR ONLINE INTERACTION AND MEDIATION FOR THE DESIGN OF MOODLE BASED TEFL MATERIALS
Agnieszka Gadomska SWPS University of Social Sciences and Humanities (Poland)
Abstract: In 2017 the Council of Europe, Education Department published CEFR- Companion Volume with New Descriptors. The publication concluded a long process of calibrating, validating and designing descriptors, including the new set for mediation and online interaction. The consultations phase took place (2015-2016) in various educational institutions, including the SWPS University of Social Sciences and Humanities, where the author supervised the workshops. The article presents the case study which participates in the CEFR implementation programme. The author addresses the questions as to the role of “new” descriptors in the process of designing online materials for TEFL, the criteria for evaluating the new 21st century skills, and the shift to the interdisciplinary perspective of effective (online) communication.
Keywords: CEFR, online interaction, mediation, Moodle, authorial materials, TEFL
- Bergan and Qiriari (2017) “Foreword” In Council of Europe (2018, February). Common European Reference for Languages- Companion Volume with the New Descriptors. Retrieved from https://rm.coe.int/cefr-companion-volume-with-new-descriptors-2018/1680787989 (accessed 30 July, 2019)
- Council of Europe (2018, February). Common European Reference for Languages-
- Companion Volume with the New Descriptors. Retrieved from https://rm.coe.int/cefr-companion-volume-with-new-descriptors-2018/1680787989 (accessed 30 July, 2019)
- Gadomska, A.& Krajka, J. (2018). Addressing EAP Students` Needs in the Tertiary Context On the Use of Digital Course Books in English for Language Teaching Academic Purposes In D. Kergel, B. Heidkamp, P. Kjærsdam Telléus, T. Rachwal & S. Nowakowski (Eds.), The Digital Turn in Higher Education (pp.175-192). Wiesbaden GmbH: Springer Fachmedien ISBN 978-3-658-19924-1 ISBN 978-3-658-19925-8 (eBook) https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-19925-8
- Library of Congress Control Number: 2017956131
- Goodier, T. (2018, November 20). Oxford Webinar Highlights: Activating Mediation Skills in the ELT Classroom with Tim Goodier. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwd3nowdyS8&feature=youtu.be (accessed 30 July, 2019)
- North, B., & Piccardo, E. (2016). Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. Developing Illustrative Descriptors of Aspects of Mediation for the CEFR. Council of Europe, Retrieved from: https://rm.coe.int/common-european-framework-of-reference-for-languages-learning-teaching/168073ff31(accessed 30 July, 2019)
- North, B. (2018). Introducing the CEFR Companion with Brian North, Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOSCty2fM2Q (accessed 30 July, 2019)
- North, B. (n.d.). The CEFR illustrative descriptors: Past, present and future. Retrieved from http://www.ealta.eu.org/conference/2014/presentations/Brian North EALTA 2014.pdf (accessed 30 July, 2019)
- Rybak, K. (2019) Moodle based lesson content. Retrieved from: https://learnonline.swps.edu.pl/course/view.php?id=1534#section-21 (accessed 30 July, 2019)
- SWPS University, 2018-2019: Methods and Techniques of TEFL 2 Course Syllabus.
- SWPS University, 2018-2019: Methods and Techniques of TEFL2: Moodle Practice 2. A. Gadomska. Retrieved from: https://learnonline.swps.edu.pl/course /view.php?id=1534 (accessed 30 July, 2019)